How do you create a great workplace?
It's not what you do it's how you do it.
Creating a great workplace is not about a prescriptive set of employee benefits and programmes and practices. It's about building high-quality relationships - relationships characterised by pride, a sense of purpose, honest communications, fun and team spirit, and fair treatment. Great workplaces put their people at the heart of all they do.
It's all about trust
Based on the growing body of research-based evidence, we know that organisations that build trust and engagement create workplace cultures that deliver sustainable and outstanding business performance. How do you build a culture of trust? Here's an overview:
- Showing honesty and integrity in carrying out your business vision and all business dealings - not only with employees, but also with clients and providers in a consistent way.
- Encouraging open and transparent two-way communications which are accessible to all members of the organisation at all times
- Demonstrating care and competence in co-ordinating human resources and allocating material possessions fairly.
- Guaranteeing balanced treatment, inclusion and equal opportunities for all employees, in all aspects of their work life, and not only in terms of pay and benefits. Organisations need to ensure justice in this respect by providing robust internal processes for appeals
- Supporting professional and personal development for all employees by offering relevant training and ensuring lack of discrimination and absence of favouritism in all hiring and promotion processes.
- Recognising individual contributions and showing appreciation for employees' work. Ensure managers do not treat employee contributions as a simple business transaction. Encourage the practice of generosity in all interactions with employees; there needs to be a genuine sense of respect and caring for people.
- Respecting each employee's ability to be themselves and caring for them as individuals with personal lives outside work.
- Allowing employees to collaborate and participate in relevant decisions that affect their work and wellbeing.
- Promoting a socially friendly and welcoming work atmosphere with a clear sense of community, team and family feel
- Providing purposeful and fulfilling personal jobs that directly align to the organisation's wider mission and strategy and which have a positive impact on society and the environment.
Measuring the pulse of your workforce to assess the levels of trust and engagement is crucial, as is being prepared to act on the results.